Old August 22nd 06, 09:34 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
SilverStude

Default Fibreglass problem

Redbull wrote:
> It will always come back..there is no solution except to replace the
> panels....been there done that...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be cost prohibitive to replace the panels... and I believe
if the silicone can get into the panel, there should be something that
can chase it and remove it. I, currently, have a product called Digesil,
used to remove silicone sealer in aircraft fuel tanks. It does good
where you can immerse the object, but we can't apply that technique to
the panel.
So far, we've kept a soaked rag against the panel and allow it to
sit a while. Once washed off, the panel will dry out, but a couple
hours later the stain reappears. Hopefully, it will get a lot of it
out, but there's a limit to this shop's patience.
Our next attempt will be to use "Eliminator" epoxy primer and try to
force dry it before the oil has a chance to wick back up.
I was told by an expert in FRP from Dow Corning, to seal it with
(long chemical name here) epoxy paint, then proceed with the normal
automotive finish process. Of course, he couldn't guarantee the result.
Thanks, everyone for your insight.