Old August 17th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Wrza

Default Lateral force on wheels - friction

Hi!

This question is more about simulating physics than simulating exactly
cars. We have lateral force acting on a car's wheels. Let's assume the
car is moving sideway with the constant velocity so the fricton acting
on the wheels is very high and causes the car to slow down. As much as
I know this friction doesn't depend on car speed only on coefficient of
friction (which depend on side slip) and load on wheel. My problem is
that when the speed of the car is very low this friction force still
acts on the car and finaly applies acceleration that moves my car in
the opposite side it was moving before and then once again and the car
starts to oscillate.

The question is: how to simulate this lateral force on wheels on low
sppeds? How to limit this force on wheels and not let it act like it
was dynamic force (not friction).

Thanks.

Wrza