Old August 15th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

Default Moron of the Week

"Ed White" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well here is my moron of the week story -
>
> I was on US-64 heading west at Rock Mount, NC around 1 pm yesterday
> (Sunday). I am in the right lane doing a little over the speed limit
> (65 mph speed limit). This part of the road is two lanes in each
> direction. There is plenty of room to right for a break down lane, but
> things are really tight on the left (there is a narrow paved shoulder,
> a little dirt shoulder, and a hard steel guardrail to the left). Uber
> driver in a 2 Door Civic is carving through traffic. He was probably
> doing 15 over when he passed me. In the left lane is an Elantra,
> probably doing 5 over in the process of catch and passing a truck that
> was going the speed limit (or maybe a little lower). Uber driver never
> slows down, whips to the right lane, shoots past the
> Elantra, then literally squeezed in between the Elantra and the truck.
> The Elantra driver has to hit the left shoulder to avoid a collision. I
>
> can swear I saw parts fly off the Civic as he shot through the gap
> (definitely something long and solid was in the air, may have been off
> the Elantra or from the shoulder). The Civic never slows. The truck
> never notices anything and keeps going. The Elantra driver is about to
> hit the guardrail and then in an act of stupidity locks up his brakes
> (huge dust cloud). Next he jerks the damn car back onto the pavement.
> At this point I was sure I was toast. I pictured the Elantra going
> broadside in front of me. So I started braking hard. The Elantra
> swerves into my lane, but the driver somehow manages to straighten he
> car out without hitting anything. Meanwhile the Civic is gone.
>

> This is a perfect case of a jerk Uber driver almost getting someone
> killed while blithely speeding off. If the idiot in the Civic had
> waited 20 seconds, the Elantra would have finished his pass and we all
> would have had a more pleasant day. One last irony, about 10 mile down
> the road, I caught and passed the Civic (if it wasn't the same car, it
> was it's twin). The idiot driver (a white guy) was yakking away on
> this cell phone, although how
> he could hear anything over the fart can exhaust is a mystery to me. It

Your story is a perfect example of how the dangerous Elantra driver nearly
caused a horrible wreck because he or she clearly did not adequately check
his or her mirrors before initiating the pass of the truck and
inconveniencing the driver of the Civic. As at least four or five expert
drivers here in r.a.d. will explain to you in no uncertain terms, the single
worst thing a driver can do is to block the left lane at any moment and for
any length of time, even while passing, so the Civic driver had no resort to
do what he or she did.

After all, the drivers driving the fastest and making the most lane changes
are obviously the ones whose time is most valuable -- this is why they are
in the biggest hurry.

I'm just disappointed you didn't get the plate for the Elantra driver so the
authorities could suspend his or her license for Criminal Failure To Avoid
Delaying A Speeding Driver. Therefore, you were complicit in this travesty
of road justice and you should be ashamed.

brink