Old August 15th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alexander Rogge

Default Moron of the Week

> He was probably
> doing 15 over when he passed me. In the left lane is an Elantra,
> probably doing 5 over in the process of catch and passing a truck that
> was going the speed limit (or maybe a little lower).

The Elantra driver was micropassing. Drivers must yield to faster
traffic in the passing lane.

> If the idiot in the Civic had
> waited 20 seconds, the Elantra would have finished his pass and we all
> would have had a more pleasant day.

It's MFFY to block traffic for 20 seconds.

> The idiot driver (a white guy) was yakking away on
> this cell phone, although how
> he could hear anything over the fart can exhaust is a mystery to me.

That's another problem, but micropassers cause traffic jams and decrease
road safety as the traffic bunches up behind them. I've had cars come
up in the passing lane behind me that were going much faster than my
passing speed, and I usually accelerate to finish my pass and move over.
If I don't want to drive that fast, I move into a gap between the cars
that I was passing, wait for the faster car to pass, and then finish
passing. My passing speeds are usually 20-50 over the speed of the
slower traffic, depending on how many cars that I need to pass. If the
traffic is only slightly slower than my set speed, I usually slow to the
speed of traffic instead of passing.