Old April 4th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default A New Entry for the Sloth Glossary: The -5 Sloth

In article .com>, Old Wolf wrote:
> Jim Yanik wrote:

>> How would a "high speedo" make a car look better in CRASH stats?

> There's a couple of assumptions:
> 1) The driver uses the speedo to adjust his speed
> 2) Driving slower means you will have fewer crashes,

> If you take those as given, then the high speedo (eg. speedo
> that says you are doing 75 when you are doing 65) will result
> in having fewer crashes than other cars that are actually going 75.
>
> (NB. I'm not commenting on the validity of those assumptions,
> I'm just saying that that is why some manufacturers set their
> speedos high).

You don't need either. Just that higher crash speed generally means more
damage.

Driver crashes, has used the speedo to determine his speed. What he
thinks was a higher speed is actually lower. It appears the car has less
damage at that speed than competitive models in real world stats. Not to
mention driver/passenger injury.

Of course this only works with the real world stats. The crash tests
would be done with lab's equipment. Wether manufacturers are actually
doing this, I doubt it.