Old April 4th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default A New Entry for the Sloth Glossary: The -5 Sloth

Jim Yanik wrote:
> > Old Wolf wrote:
>>>
>>> They think they are doing the SL, but their speedo reads high.

> How would a "high speedo" make a car look better in CRASH stats?

There's a couple of assumptions:
1) The driver uses the speedo to adjust his speed
2) Driving slower means you will have fewer crashes,

If you take those as given, then the high speedo (eg. speedo
that says you are doing 75 when you are doing 65) will result
in having fewer crashes than other cars that are actually going 75.

(NB. I'm not commenting on the validity of those assumptions,
I'm just saying that that is why some manufacturers set their
speedos high).