Old February 25th 05, 06:02 PM
Mike Romain

He doesn't have a locking front end, it is on all the time.

Even with the old vacuum lock, shifting is by a lever on the floor. If
this lever on the floor will shift to 2 wheel drive, you are freaking
'IN' 2 wheel drive no matter if the front axle is a vacuum release,
permanent locked, or manually locked!

There is no such thing as having to go into reverse to 'unlock' front
hubs or axles period! That cannot happen on "ANY" Jeep!

Once the shifter has moved to 2 wheel drive, the front driveshaft is no
longer connected to the drivetrain, therefore there can be no 'binding
up'. The older vacuum collar cannot 'bind up' when the driveshaft is
not connected....

Now if your gear shift won't come out of 4x4, then yes, you do have to
maybe back up to shift the transfer case.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's