Old October 30th 04, 12:43 PM
Eugene

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:00:03 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
> > wrote:
>
>>Have you all observed that not one automobile has a drain valve installed
>>to the fuel tank? Obviously, a drain valve installed at the tank sump
>>would safely allow the complete drainage of a fuel tank before
>>in-tank-fuel
>>pump or fuel gauge sending unit servicing. To the drain valve, a length
>>of
>>hose would be attached and led to one or more 5 gallon Jerry cans. Once
>>drained, the fuel tanks are much safer to work on, although caution should
>>still be exercised.
>>
>>Attempting to drain a fuel tank by disconnecting the fuel outlet hose and
>>attaching a shop pump will drain all the usable fuel, but not all the
>>fuel. A gallon or more gasoline will be retained in the tank.
>>
>>Fuel tank drain valves have always been required on aircraft, but totally
>>ignored for cars. They are useful for draining water and or other
>>contaminants. I am sure that is a useful feature for mechanics trying to
>>efficiently diagnose or correct a refractory fuel system problem.
>>
>>There may be a few objections to a drain valve, but there are workarounds.
>>1. Makes it easy to steal fuel. 2. Vandalism and arson. 3. Accidental
>>collision damage to valve and resultant fuel leakage. 4. Leakage. 5.
>>Cost Workarounds are 1. build in key lock 2. build in key lock 3. Locate
>>tank higher than low point of nearby structures 4. install screw cap as
>>per fuel injection rail shraeder valve. 5. cost is a non-issue for safety,
>>particularly on $30,000 plus cars.
>>
>>A drainable fuel tank makes fuel pump servicing safer than presently;
>>however, an external pump design is still much safer yet. One reader
>>suggested that the mechanic wait until the fuel level is half or less --
>>good luck if you fill your tank and 10 minutes later the pump quits. When
>>the pump quits, the engine stops right now! Now, if you had a DUAL fuel
>>pump system, you actually could run the fuel level down. I have addressed
>>this issue befo dual pumps, automatic controls, and warning indicators
>>when one fails.
>>
>>Think your car is advanced? There are four self-locking nuts on a
>>Wal-Mart
>>shopping cart. They retain the casters. How many self-locking nuts are
>>on
>>your $30,000 car. My car has none that I'm aware of. Car manufacturers
>>will do anything to avoid self lockers because of cost. Instead, auto
>>engineers did their own work-around for plain fasteners. They specify
>>torques at least 150% the maximum recommended by fastener torque tables.
>>Check it out. Every important fastener on your car is overtightened and
>>overstressed.
>>

> You are so full of $hit your eyes are brown.
> NO fasteners on a car are overtorqued by design. The bolts that carry
> high torque are SPECIFICALLY designed to stand that torque.

> [...]

I have found many locknuts on the vehicles I have, seems they use them where
necessary.
Some new cars you don't have to drop the tank. I found an Impala web site
and the site owner did several how-to's from changing wiper blades to the
fuel pump. In the Impala you remove the back seat and then there is a
access panel that you remove and then you can pull the pump out from there.
I assume other cars would be the same.