Old September 6th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam

Default Plastic vs. aluminum radiator

Pete from Boston wrote:
> I need a new radiator in my 90 Accord (155K) -- ridiculous leak and I'd
> just rather put something new in than mess around with
> patching/welding. I've been reading through a lot of radiator
> replacement discussions in here and given the amount of time I've
> already spent looking at and playing with it, I'm willing to give doing
> it myself a shot.
>
> That said, I'm wondering about the pros/cons of plastic and aluminum
> tanks. Having had leaks on two plastic-tanked radiators, I'd rather go
> with aluminum if that's going to tend to develop leaks less. Someone
> mentioned aluminum being heavier -- is this going to make any
> substantial difference other than ease of installation?
>
> The prices on the ones I'm seeing listed on line are all reasonable,
> but I don't see a lot of detailed info on one vs. another (which is
> info much more in abundance on this group, thankfully).
>
> Any opinions/recommendations?

there's nothing wrong with plastic, provided two conditions are met:

1. as tegger says, it needs to be loosely mounted.
2. there needs to be normal pressure in the system, not excess due to a
leaking head gasket.

regarding 2, a lot of times, radiators are replaced because of
"overheating". a low level head gasket leak can persist for a long
time, with the chemical and pressure stress that places on the system.
if a radiator cracks under those conditions because a prompt and
effective diagnosis of the root cause was not made, i don't think
there's a huge amount to complain about.

fyi, plastic/aluminum are a great combo for internal corrosion
resistance and seal persistence - that's why they're used. just make
sure you don't buy the cheapest one and you should be ok.