Old October 13th 04, 11:17 PM
Steve

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

>>The wrap-around taillights suck, I agree.

> And they're all red. No amber turn blinker. Suddenly it's 1991...

Suddenly its an American-looking car again....

(You KNEW I'd pipe up in support of red taillamps, didn't you?) :-)

>>Boo! on the V6 replacing the I6; SUV engines ought to have low-end
>>grunt. That I6 was an institution, and it deserved to be updated rather
>>than discarded.

> Agreed. I'm sure Car and Driver will cream their jeans about the
> "silky-smooth V6" being better than the "agricultural-sounding pushrod
> inline 6 it replaces".

Agreed on that one. The 4.0 is the second best OHV inline six ever
built, right behind the slant-six. And it has a lot of features that are
frankly better than the slanty. But I still like the old L-heads best,
and not even Car and Driver could claim that any v6 is smoother than an
old Plymouth, Dodge, or DeSoto L-head. More powerful, yeah. Smoother,
never in a million years. :-)