Old April 16th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 1992 Accord Shudders - DTCs

dropsentra wrote:

> 'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
> > dropsentra wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a 1992 Honda Accord LX. It has had several DTCs for the
> > > automatic transmisison set for quite some time (approximately two years
> > > for at least 3 of the 4 codes). There didn't seem to be anything wrong
> > > with the car, so I didn't worry about it. The D4 light blinks only
> > > when the test connector is shorted. I didn't even realize that these
> > > were DTCs for the transmission until recently. Recently, the car has
> > > started to shudder on accelleration (or under load, like when
> > > performing a stall test) between 1500 and 2000 RPM. (It feels like
> > > you're going over small ripples/bumps in the road.) It occurs almost
> > > exclusively in this RPM range, although it has begun to creep up into
> > > higher RPM ranges as the problem has worsened. It is very hard to tell
> > > if it is a sputter (engine) or a shudder (transmission). There does
> > > not seem to be a sputter in the engine when giving it gas while in park
> > > (or reving the engine freely through the specified RPM range). I do
> > > not have the service manual for the car (though I have been meaning to
> > > get one). The codes are 1, 2, 7, & 8. I do not know if these are long
> > > or short blinks because they are all the same duration with the same
> > > duration pauses in between. I would guess that they are short, based
> > > experience. Can anyone help? I would appreciate any help possible.

> > --------------------------------
> >
> > How come nobody ever mentions the two most useful bits of info??
> > What's the mileage, and how recently have you tried replacing the Honda
> > tranny fluid?
> >
> > 'Curly'

> To answer your first question: If those are common questions I didn't
> know, last night was my first night to this message board. Also, I
> guess since I try to take very good care of my vehicles I didn't even
> think of it being necessary to mention when my last trans fluid change
> was because I never let it go too long, though I did just check and
> notice it has been about 24,000 miles since I last changed it. I try
> to change it every 25,000 miles. (Change it, not flush it). So, as
> for your other questions, the car has about 174,857 miles on it, and
> the trans fluid has about 24,000 miles on it. Is it okay to use Mobil Synthetic ATF in this car? The
> manual says to use Dexron, and the Mobil Synthetic says it's for use in
> vehicles that require Dexron, so I've been using the Mobil synthetic.
> Is that a problem with this car for some reason?

The manual says you can use DEXRON as a TEMPORARY REPLACEMENT when Honda
Z1 isn't immediately available. Dexron will destroy your Honda, so the
synthetic version of Dexron probably has already.

7 litres of Z1 (drain-n-fill two times) MIGHT get you back in the game,
but it's probably damaged beyond hope.

'Curly'