Old June 10th 05, 03:47 AM
Dustin Macdonald

> I remember actively searching for a Jeep in late 80s...I guess it was
> 1987. The dealerships still had a scant few new CJ7s on the lots with
> the new YJs all lined up. I remember looking at how low the YJ was in
> comparison, and also the axles were wider. I did not like the
> differences, so I understand your point.
>
> I hesitated too long and the CJs disappeared. The last one was a plain
> jane tan colored with a brown soft top CJ on the lot, but I passed
> because I liked the Laredos. Ugh! It was a year or so later before I
> found a beautiful bright red 1985 soft top CJ7 with 900 miles on it
> (non-Laredo). Later, I eventually had a 90 YJ.

I had an 83/84 CJ7 Laredo. Fun as you can get, but an absolute
mechanical nightmare. That was the SMOG/emissions blunder year in
Calif. random cutting out. Solenoid actuated carb surging. Spun a
tapered axel.

But it could go anywhe Sierras, Mex, Snow, Beach, crawlin', ....
Love that about jeeps.

I had so many carb and computer problems that I finally sold it and
bought a '71 Scout II. all it had was a carb with points! No smog
crap. Headers and glass packs only (my neighbors loved me for that...
uh, no). I could put my dog behind that back seat! No more slobber in
the ear as he hung his head out the window. Lots of room for stuff. A
massive 392 V8. Yes, I was in heaven for a long time. Only problem
was the mileage. 8-10 mpg city, 14mpg HWY. Ouch.

The sea air in Santa Cruz, Calif. finally did in my beloved Scout with
terminal Scout rot.

i always loved the scrambler. So, I bought an '04 Unlimited/Hard Top
(non rubi) last October.

I absolutely love it.

There's enough room for my 100# Bernese Mountain Dog behind the back
seat. Creature comforts galore but still with that jeep ability.
Lot's 'o room for Stuff. Really quiet. You can actually hold a
conversation on the FWY. Auto Locking hubs (well it's new to me!).
Wow, really stable on the FWY.

I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. and I bet the rubi is
even better.

- Dustin

04 Unlimited / White/ Hard Top

http://www.macdonalddesign.com/