Old September 12th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
RepairJunkie

Default Repairing vehicles without locking up the radio antitheft system

RepairJunkie wrote:
> This all makes sense for changing the battery, but not for the starter
> or alternator because you can easily cause shorts and definitely not
> for sensors because plugging/unplugging when they are getting powered
> thru the cigarette lighter can damage the computer. It depends on
> whether the computer's sensor amplifier (an In-Amp) is overload
> protected. I am speaking from the perspective of an electrical
> engineer, but someone much more familiar with common practices in the
> auto industry can probably tell me what's really going on. In any case
> I'll speak with Advanced Auto. Thanks!

Unless -- with the key in the accessory position -- the radio and
cig.lighter are energized and the ECU (computer) are disconnected from
the circuit. This would keep power to the radio, but removing the
(underhood) battery would cut power to the ECU, thus allowing sensors,
alternator, starter, etc. to be plugged/unplugged safely. Anybody know
if this is true and where I can find a tech. write-up on it?