Old November 22nd 04, 04:47 PM
Speedy Jim

MIC wrote:

>> More likely to be
>> damaged is the O-ring seal inside the flywheel; definitely replace
>> that. And double check the crank endplay afterward.

> Hello Jim (and others)
> I just had my flywheel of for replace the main seal. I did not notice the
> O-ring you talk about. Where should it be? On the flywheel?
>
> The engine is still out... :-)
> Bye from Denmark....Michael
> (1303 from 1974)

Beginning with the 1300cc engine, a groove was cut *inside* the
hub of the flywheel. An O-Ring slips in the groove and seals the
flywheel hub to the crankshaft. On earlier engines, sealing was
done with paper or metal gaskets between flywheel and crank.

As Bill noted, the O-Ring is often received damaged or gets damaged
when the flywheel is installed on the crank. The O-Ring has to be
installed with care. Use of lubricant will help prevent distortion.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/