Old October 10th 04, 07:09 PM
Joe

I would have to agree that it's not really right (I'm an engineer too). I
have a couple of 3.3's, and they're the same way. My dad has one, and his
water pump locked up without warning and killed the timing belt. I don't
recall ever seeing a locked up water pump before, so I think it was a freak
thing. Since the old 3.3's are freewheeling, it was fairly harmless. On a
later model it would be the pits.

I certainly understand what they're going through from my own experience.
Still, I don't think the EPA has outlawed timing chains and gears, nor do
they require oil pumps, water pumps, balance shafts and other belt-driven
equipment to further entangle whatever's driving the camshaft.

. ..