Old July 11th 05, 03:23 AM
Louis M. Brown

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:29:53 GMT, "Gregg M via CarKB.com"
> wrote:

>>What is it doing to cause you to want to adjust the bands?

>When I took the transmission pan off, after we backed it home, the oil in the
>bottom of the pan was black,...I figured that it had eaten the forward band,
>and if I could locate it,

Actually, sounds like the fluid was pretty much used up. If the trans
isn't slipping in 4th, though, the front band should be fine. But if
you want to replace the bands, you'd have to pull the trans off, and
slidehammer out the front pump, then pull several other components out
(like the clutch packs and some of the gearset.) before you could
access the band itself (BTW, the band you're referring to is called
the Overdrive band, the other band in the trans is the low-reverse
one, and is not actually used unless you've placed the shifter lever
in Reverse or manual low.)

> I would just replace it and my troubles would be
>over,....but since you say there is no hand adjustment, and I found that the
>bands are not visible,....I guess I am at a stopping point again,....anymore
>advice? And BTW do you know if a 1983 AOD Mercury Marquis will interchange?
>AND BTW the way,.....again,...what does IIRC mean? :-)

The AOD out of a '83 should interchange just fine. What symptoms does
the transmission display?

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

And if you'd like, I've got an exploded view of the AOD and list of
components (Basically, the parts are numbered, and the list tells you
what each part is, ) I could email that to you.

-LMB