Old June 30th 04, 02:45 AM
Bob Urz

Neil Nelson wrote:
> In article >,
> BOB URZ > wrote:
>

>>Got a call from my friend today. He was stuck along the road with
>>smoke coming from the hood of his 96 caravan. This AM, he took his
>>van in to jiffy lube for an oil change and trannie fluid change.

> Your friend chose a batch of idiots over a trained technician
> because?
>

>>He laid a trail of oil for 2 blocks so bad the fire dept came out
>>and put stuff on the street for safety. I looked at his van. The
>>trannie
>>cooler hose was off the trannie. The clamp was still firmly planted
>>on the trannie, just past where the hose should be! DUMMIES!

> Yup, it's been that way for many years, yet people keep
> patronizing such places.
>

>>We put the hose back on and put in 4 quarts of III+ trannie fluid.
>>took it back to jiffy lube where they were less than "i will kiss
>>your ass because we ****ed up".

> They do it so often, they're immune.
>

>>A couple of questions. It did set the check engine light when this
>>happened which i assume was for shifting fault.

> No way to know until the codes are retrieved.
>

>>Does this reset on
>>a 96 if it senses no more faults after so many starts?

> I should. Having the codes cleared would be a better choice in
> case additional faults pop up.
>

>>Will it have to
>>re learn?

> Not from what happened. re-learn is only necessary if and when
> power to the transmission controller is interrupted or the
> adaptive memory is re-set.
>

>>What are the chances of long term trannie damage for a 2 block
>>run low and losing fluid? It was fine before the trannie fluid change.

> Chances of damage are good.
>

>>Now, after much research i thought i saw that only III+ fluids should
>>be used in a 604 or it will shudder and **** up in short order.

> Yup.
>

>>Jiffy lube had Dextron IIE that they put in. They did not have III+
>>in there marvellous overhead rack of fluids. They said its fine.
>>I have my doubts.

> Jiffy Lube would be wrong on all accounts.
> Jiffy Lube should quit bilking unsuspecting people by marketing
> goods and services which they are obviously not trained and/or
> equipped to perform.
>

>>Is Dextron IIE the same and have the same friction additives?

> No, it''s not the same. It's not even close.
> Your friend should have his vehicle towed to the nearest
> competent facility and have all of the transmission fluid
> replaced along with the filter which odds are wasn't replaced by
> Jiffy Goof to begin with.
> He should then present the bill for those services to Jiffy Goof
> for reimbursement.
>

>>Any insight will be appreciated.

> Your friend should make better choices WRT vehicle service and
> maintenance.

Gezz neil, should i take my paddle and go spank him for mopar blasphemy?

He was going on a long trip soon and figured he was doing the right
thing. He did not ask my opinion before he went to Jiffy Lube.
I probably would have told him not to.

I researched the fluid issue a while back when i was looking at used
mini vans. That why i was suspicious. I am trying to find specs on
dextron IIE. Its a synthetic? What synthetics are III+ compatible
if any?

What i want is something on IIE in black and white that says its NOT
suitable for a Chrysler 604.

Bob