Old June 30th 04, 02:17 AM
Neil Nelson

In article >,
BOB URZ > wrote:

> Got a call from my friend today. He was stuck along the road with
> smoke coming from the hood of his 96 caravan. This AM, he took his
> van in to jiffy lube for an oil change and trannie fluid change.

Your friend chose a batch of idiots over a trained technician
because?

> He laid a trail of oil for 2 blocks so bad the fire dept came out
> and put stuff on the street for safety. I looked at his van. The
> trannie
> cooler hose was off the trannie. The clamp was still firmly planted
> on the trannie, just past where the hose should be! DUMMIES!

Yup, it's been that way for many years, yet people keep
patronizing such places.

> We put the hose back on and put in 4 quarts of III+ trannie fluid.
> took it back to jiffy lube where they were less than "i will kiss
> your ass because we ****ed up".

They do it so often, they're immune.

> A couple of questions. It did set the check engine light when this
> happened which i assume was for shifting fault.

No way to know until the codes are retrieved.

> Does this reset on
> a 96 if it senses no more faults after so many starts?

I should. Having the codes cleared would be a better choice in
case additional faults pop up.

>Will it have to
> re learn?

Not from what happened. re-learn is only necessary if and when
power to the transmission controller is interrupted or the
adaptive memory is re-set.

> What are the chances of long term trannie damage for a 2 block
> run low and losing fluid? It was fine before the trannie fluid change.

Chances of damage are good.

> Now, after much research i thought i saw that only III+ fluids should
> be used in a 604 or it will shudder and **** up in short order.

Yup.

> Jiffy lube had Dextron IIE that they put in. They did not have III+
> in there marvellous overhead rack of fluids. They said its fine.
> I have my doubts.

Jiffy Lube would be wrong on all accounts.
Jiffy Lube should quit bilking unsuspecting people by marketing
goods and services which they are obviously not trained and/or
equipped to perform.

> Is Dextron IIE the same and have the same friction additives?

No, it''s not the same. It's not even close.
Your friend should have his vehicle towed to the nearest
competent facility and have all of the transmission fluid
replaced along with the filter which odds are wasn't replaced by
Jiffy Goof to begin with.
He should then present the bill for those services to Jiffy Goof
for reimbursement.

> Any insight will be appreciated.

Your friend should make better choices WRT vehicle service and
maintenance.