Old February 16th 05, 12:49 PM
The Malt Hound

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi Fred
>
> Thanks for the advice. I actually had my clutch replaced today. My
> old
> one took pretty low, but not as low as the new one. I asked the
> mechanic to bleed the system, which he did, but perhaps he never did
> it
> properly.
>
> In addition to the clutch taking a little low, I find it sometimes
> feels as though the clutch is slipping a little as I pull away...
> but
> perhaps that's just because the height at which the clutch takes is
> different and I'm not useto it....
>
> I also had new brake disks and pads fitted, and asked him to bleed
> the
> brakes. The brakes now feel a little spongy, and not as solid as
> they
> did before. Could it be as a result of the type of pad fitted, as
> they
> were not BMW pads?
>
> Thanks again for your input.

Yes, it sounds as if maybe your mechanic does not have a good method
for bleeding hydraulic lines. New brake pads do not cause the brake
pedal to feel spongy. They may have a different rate at which they
stop the car, but the pedal feel is all about the hydraulic lines.

Both symptoms (clutch and brakes) would indicate air in the lines.

Good luck with it,
-Fred W