Old February 7th 05, 12:13 PM
Harri Holopainen

Bob > wrote:
>Floyd,
>
>Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. I'll see what I can
>find in Car & Driver.
>
>In the meantime let me run this by you... The whole idea behind my
>interest in a 325xi is as a safe replacement for my wife's FWD Passat
>equipped with Michelin Alpins during the winter. We both really like the
>VW 90% of the time but I'd like something a little better for her during
>some of our pretty bad driving days here in Upstate NY.
>
>How will the BMW 38/62 AWD system with manual transmission compare to FWD
>in real world use? The 325xi I'm looking at comes with Pirelli P6's, will

it will blow any FWD (and RWD) away on snow, like any full-time
AWD. the difference is incredible. it makes the snow "go away" -
acceleration is almost like in summer. no matter how you push the
pedal the steering and handling will stay neutral.

this is also the biggest potential problem: braking is not more
efficent, it's easy to get too comfortable to drive fast on bad
weather and if you're going too fast into a corner you'll hit the
woods regardless of AWD, DSC or other acronyms.

>I need to replace them with "winter" tires for snow & ice?

yes. proper winter tires such as Nokian Hakka's, and not one of those
M+S things.

>(BTW, isn't the DSC system "defeatable" via a dash switch which would
>allow full power to any wheel?)

as far as I know, yes.

--
harri