Old June 21st 05, 11:23 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

> Is 112MPH reckless all by itself?
> Even in a 35MPH zone?

IMHO, always. It implicitly breaks one of the infra-rules of driving
(and most other public conduct): don't take large risks of maiming or
killing innocent bystanders who didn't sign up for your idea of fun.

> Are children endangered if they travel
> safely from one point to another at 112MPH?

These were not being driven safely. Not even close. They were,
allegedly, being driven at 112 in a 35 zone by someone in a distraught
emotional state (never mind his unstated, but probably decidedly less
than race-ready, skill and equipment).

If he really did what the original poster described, I'm glad the cops
hauled him over before he punched out a phone pole and launched his
family through the windshield or knocked a baby buggy out of the
crosswalk so hard it landed in Nebraska. Hell, he's lucky he didn't
get dragged out of the car by the SWAT team after the cops jumped to
the conclusion that somebody driving like that must be a fleeing felon
with hostages.

All in all it sounds like exactly what we have cops for: protecting
those of us just trying to go about our business from getting mowed
down by maniacs.

--Joe