Old May 5th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 82 SJ Not Starting When Hot

It would be carbureted, but I haven't seen a dual fuel carburetor in years,
so I couldn't give detailed advice. Around here, LPG is probably still
cheaper than petrol, but no one knows how long this situation will last. A
few years back the tree huggers were touting LPG and LNG as safer, cleaner,
environmentally friendly alternatives to gasoline, but all three come out of
the ground, and all three will exhaust supply after the wells dry up.

Earle

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> They had computers in 1982????
>
> He still hasn't said what engine is in the beast.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
>

> wrote:
> >
> > probably the crank position sensor (cps) needs to be replaced.
> > it is a common problem and you can do it yourself with a good flexible
> > socket wrench,and a lot of twisting around.
> > it is on the outside of the bellhouseing drivers side 2/3 way up with a

plug
> > under the hood.
> > carefull not to drop the bolts inside when removing them(2)
> > about 40.00 for the part.
> > old john
> >
> > Hello, Dave!
> > You wrote on 3 May 2006 22:13:33 -0700:
> >
> > D> Have an 82 SJ Cherokee that wont start after its hot. Fine starting
> > D> cold but after running for a while, wont restart...especially if i

go
> > D> out, come back, leave it a while then try to start it up again.
> >
> > D> Turns over ie cranks fine... battery, coil, starter and fuel pump

have
> > D> just been replaced.
> >
> > D> Its been converted to duel fuel ie LPG and petrol. Originally after
> > D> driving for a while on LPG it would cut out and wouldnt start again
> > D> until it had cooled down. Thought it was LPG related so switched to
> > D> petrol. Didnt cut out on me but after going driving for about 20

mins,
> > D> came back, left it an hour then tried to start again.. but it just

isnt
> > D> happening. Just keeps cranking but nothing else
> >
> > D> Hopefully someone has some ideas what the problem is.
> >
> > D> Thanks for any help with this.
> >
> > D> Dave
> >
> > With best regards,
. E-mail: