Old July 24th 05, 05:00 PM
TeGGeR®

"Fijoy George" > wrote in
:

> Hi all,
>
> I bought a used 1991 Honda Accord DX Coupe recently, and it has been
> giving me problems. Sometimes the engine would stall while driving,
> and I have to restart the car. This happens both at signals and on the
> highway. It also sometimes would not start after parking somewhere.

Might be the Main Relay or ignition switch, as Curly says.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#startrun

> I gather this is a common problem with Accords, and it is usually
> caused by a faulty ignition system or fuel pump.

An *old* ignition system, yes. The fuel pump would not cause this.

Is there anything
> cheap that I can do to narrow down the cause to just one component?
> This is my first car, I know practically nothing about car repairing.
> Is it possible for me to do some diagnosis by myself, perhaps by
> looking at some reference book?

Clean the throttle body and EACV. Reset idle speed correctly.

Replace the plugs, wires, rotor and distributor cap. With OEM. A weak spark
can cause stalling.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ