Old June 23rd 05, 05:39 PM
Ray O

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> Ray O wrote:
>
>> A steering rack itself is not really adjustable, other than the crush
>> collar
>> that determines loading on the rack. As the name implies, a crush collar
>> does not adjust - once it is crushed, it is set.

> But steering racks do wear, which introduces additional
> play. And at least in the old days, some had adjustable
> pre-loads.

If the rack was worn, the loose feeling would be present at all speeds, not
just highway speeds. I forget what year the OP's Camry is but AFAIK, Camry
racks have always used crush collars to set pre-load.

>> Loose feeling at highway speeds might be caused by an out of alignment
>> condition, not enough positive caster, or an improperly functioning power
>> steering pump.

> Would loose ball joints, or tie rods ends also contribute to
> a loose feeling? And running the tires at too high a
> pressure can definitely make a car feel squirrelly.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed White

Loose ball joints and tie rod ends would probably cause a loose feeling at
all speeds and also usually make noise.

You could probably run the tires up to at least 40 psi without making the
car handle adversely. In fact, the higher tire pressures would probably
improve handling because the sidewalls are a little stiffer. Competition
driving schools usually boost tire pressures to around 40 psi before taking
the cars on the track to improve handling, reduce tread squirm, and keep the
tires from rolling off the beads. The downside to having hard tires is a
harsher ride and the possibility of wearing the center of the tread more
quickly than the shoulders. I keep tire pressures at 36 psi in our Avalon
and LS 400 and have not experienced any excessive center tread wear and have
reduced the shoulder wear that we usually get.

Back to my original response, positive caster aids straight line stability.

The Camry has speed sensitive power steering, I don't know if it is
regulated by engine RPM or road speed. At higher speeds, the amount of
power steering assist is supposed to be reduced to improve road feel. At
lower speeds, more assist is provided to make low speed maneuvering easier.
If whatever regulates the amount of assist is not working properly, then the
car can seem to be over sensitive at highway speeds.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply