Old February 15th 05, 04:07 AM
Hallraker

"Matt Mead" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:36:43 GMT, "Hallraker"
> > wrote:
>
> >That's probably true. At least off the lot, anyway. There are/were a

lot
> >of aftermarket parts and accessories designed to increase the off-road
> >capabilities of the Brat, which were pretty good for a tiny truck that

was
> >actually a car anyway. And do not forget that the Brat had jumpseats.

<g>

> >-Matt

> I've actually looked at a few websites that had info on off-roading
> Subarus. Kinda interesting and they would make a unique off-roader.
> Gearing has to be a big issue though as the tires get bigger.....
>
> The Brat was definately cool in its day!

They are surprisingly capable, and the older 4x4 models were arguably better
off-road than the newer AWD models. Mine is AWD, and in 5 years I've been
stuck twice: got high centered on an ice shelf with all four wheels about 2"
off the ground, and another time I couldn't make it up a hill. Of course,
it's worth noting that the hill was about 45 degrees, there was 15" of snow,
and a 1/2 inch ice sheet underneath that. Oh yeah, and I had summer tires.
<g>

When I got high centered, that night was so awful that my friend's snowplow
truck got stuck after he pulled me out. Since the tow strap was still
attached, I gave it a mighty pull with the Subaru and freed a GMC 3500
snowplow truck from the snowbank.