Old March 31st 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Grinding Noise

Grandetourer did pass the time by typing:
> While driving straight (no turns), I heard a grinding noise. I was able to
> feel the vibration and it felt as if it was coming from between the engine
> and the driveshaft. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I was traveling
> about 40 mph and when I gave it more gas, the grinding noise started. When I
> took my foot off the gas, it stopped. I maintained 10 mph and the Jeep would
> keep moving. When I pulled into the parking lot and attempted to climb a very
> small hill ( like the one when you drive up into a gas station), the Jeep
> died on me. I started it right back up and the Jeep is now running fine,
> except for the check engine light that is now on. Any ideas?

Could be U joints but I've only experienced on "grinding under load"
and it was a biggie. For me I was towing a trailer through the
mountains and any time I put a load on the engine it would produce
a nasty grinding noise. Problem is your talking "big bucks" if I'm correct. :/

Climb underneath and use a BIG screwdriver or prybar between the oil pan
and the harmonic balancer. (don't bend the pan) lightly pry the balancer
forward and backward, if it moves more than about 1/8" then the grinding is
because the main thrust bearing in the block has gone byebye.

--
DougW