Old December 10th 04, 02:39 PM
Speedy Jim

Busdriver wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The Brake lights on my '70 Bus (daily driver 70mi/day) work, but only if I
> depress the pedal pretty hard.
> I replaced the front pads in May and bled the system at the same time.
> Have readjusted all brakepads almost two months ago. The pedal feels nice
> and firm, no pumping required. The problem is I drive home from work when
> its dark, the lights work fine, the brakes light up with a slight delay
> and only with pressure enough to make the car almost stop, not just slow
> down a bit.
> Any Ideas would be appreciated!

'70 US Buses have 2 3-prong stop light switches. At end of life,
they will need very high pressure to activate. Replace both of them
(not too hard to do on a Bus).

Problem is that aftermarket switches are pretty much junk, so it's
a crap-shoot...

Why 3 prongs? They are actually SPDT switches arranged to light the
dash warning light if there is a leak in one hyd circuit.
(The actual circuit is on my web site.)

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/