Old March 11th 05, 03:23 PM
Rick Murphy

Chris wrote:
> I have a 93 SL-1 with about 150k miles that burns about a quart of oil for
> each tank of gas. Other than that the car runs great. Is there anything that
> can be done to minimize oil usage short of a rebuild? I've been told that
> additives only make things worse. What about a heavier oil?

The typical SOHC oil burner happens because the rings get coked up.
A soak with GM Top Engine Cleaner or Marvel Mystery Oil often helps
these cases. Google for "Saturn MMO Soak" or "GM Top Engine Cleaner" for
directions. TEC is available from your GM dealer and is reported to be
more effective than MMO; MMO is more widely available.
-Rick
--
Rick Murphy, K1MU/4
Email to rick will work if you use rickmurphy after the "@" and dot-net