Old September 7th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
morticide

Default Speed limits on gravel roads?

Dave Head wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2006 06:37:31 -0700, "morticide" > wrote:
>
> >This question came up in a friend's letter to the editor in my hometown
> >newspaper. He had inquired with the state patrol about what the speed
> >limit was on county gravel roads; the response was that it's the same
> >as on the highways. The writer cited an incident in which someone was
> >flying down the gravel at at least 50 and hit a dog...and kept going,
> >right in front of witnesses.

> About the only good reason for stopping would have been to get the name of the
> dog's owner, who let it run loose, so I could sue them for the damage to my car
> from the collision. Maybe the local authorities might have something to say
> about a cruelty to animals law, which has to have been violated by letting the
> dog run loose near a road, where it was sure to get hit, sooner or later.
>
> >I used to live on a gravel road, and anything faster than 35 on most of
> >them in northern Missouri is asking for trouble (dust, control loss).
> >Some locations, probably by county law, post a 35 speed limit. The
> >only gravel road I know of that has a posted speed limit higher than
> >that is AK 11 at 50.

> 35? Gimmie a break. Ever see those WRC rallies on the TV? They're doing it
> on gravel roads, and hitting 130 mph. Anyone that can't do a (straight) gravel
> road at the 55 mph speed limit needs some further driver education. Yeah,
> there's some twisty stuff that can be a challenge, even on paved, but gravel is
> only as dangerous as you make it.
>
> Dave Head

55 is OK on gravel if it is in good shape. Most in MO are not. I have
been on gravel roads in Iowa in which driving 55 was more reasonable
than on several of the lettered paved roads in Missouri.

I double checked...the patrolman was a bit wrong in this case. MO
Statute 304.010 paragraph 5 states that if the county commission does
not post a speed limit, the speed limit on gravel roads is 50 (the
county can not post over 55). County speed postings have to clear the
state DOT and HP for approval.