Old July 10th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
lolo

Default Volvo 240 (1990) running hot - flushed coolant, but???

Yeah I hope so too. That was what I mentioned about the temerature
compensation board. On these 240s, the Temp comp. board can start
going out, and then you have no idea if it's actually hot or not. The
sypmtoms only happen when it SHOULD be hot, though (stuck idleing for a
long time in 90 degree weather), so I leaning toward the air bubble in
the cooling. How do I bleed the cooling system? I've done that on
Hondas that have bleeder valves, but it seems like it could get real
messy real fast on this beast.

If there is air in the system, will it eventually work it's way into
the reservoir? That's what I was counting on... I have never had a
vehicle that didn't have the cooling system cap on the top of the
radiator, but I assumed it was the same/ similar.

It is a mechanical fan and the fan clutch seems OK. When I was
flushing it, I had the lower radiator disconnected pointing downward
into a bucket, and while running the engine, not much was coming out...
maybe I didn't run it long enough for the thermo to open.

thanks for the ideas!

loren