Old March 17th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 97 Cherokee has bitten the dust

One of the more important things you will need is the receipts for
everything you have done to the vehicle in the last 6 months to a year. If I
remember correctly, anything over 6 months old is not considered "new"
Then, go to the newspapers, Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds and the internet and
see what they are selling for.You could even try Ebay or maybe Carmax or
those other outfits.
Print all of this material out.
Go to a couple of local dealerships and have them do a printout on what they
would sell the vehicle for.

Having had three kids kill multiple vehicles (seriously - it was a slaughter
there for a couple of years) I can speak with the voice of experience, you
WILL need to do this research and present the top half dozen or the
insurance company may try to lowball you on the rig.

OH! If it was messy inside, get to it before the insurance adjuster sees it
and clean it up. Believe it or not, it makes a difference.

Hope your son is ok.

Kate

> wrote in message
: My son, a 3rd year student at Montana U. has / had a '97 Cherokee
: Country with all the bells and whistles. While trying to help someone
: out of a ditch on an icy snowy road the jeep was smashed by a diesel
: rig. As you may expect, it was totalled by the insurance company.
:
: What should I look for as a fair market price for the jeep? It was in
: good shape with upgraded rims and a brand new set of BFG KO's, had
: power everything and the factory tow package, leather seats, etc. as
: well as a six month old paint job. It had about 106k miles on it.
:
: I live in SoCal so I think that is what they are using for the
: location to set fair market value. I tried looking through the
: autotrader but there wasn't a really comparable match for about 1200
: miles from me.
:
: Any advice would be greatly appreciated!