Old September 5th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default My engineer neighbor's approach to oil change breaking in his truck ?

"Forrest" > wrote in message

> I know that engines are machined to greater tolerances than those of
> 20 years ago, which then included a free dealer oil change at 500
> miles to flush out the metal filings etc, but would you agree that it
> makes sense to use a break in sequence, such as this, at this time,
> with our new Toyota 4Runner - rather than the published approach,
> which is to just do nothing until 5k miles and then change to
> Synthetic, if I wished to ?

You wont get a consensus on this board when lubrication matters are the
topic.
We all have our habits and beliefs, and - no matter what anyone else says -
you
are pretty much on your own when it comes to oil change protocol.

I prefer to err on the side of over fastidiousness.