Old August 28th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Loose front rotor

pws wrote:

> I would take a close look at the caliper assembly and the brackets that
> it attaches to. The rotor is held on by the caliper and the wheels, it
> can be removed entirely without even messing with the hub.
>
> With the wheel off, the caliper should keep the rotor in place with
> little to no movement unless you were to put a lot of force on it.
>
> Have you tried swinging the caliper off of the rotor, tie it in place
> out of the way, and then tighten down two open-end lugnuts onto the
> rotor to see if it holds firmly in place or not?
>
> Good luck!
>
> Pat

Replying to my own post, scary.... I did not word that last one very well.
The rotors are held in place by the lugnuts, which secure both the
wheels and the rotors.
With the wheel off and the caliper out of the way, the rotor will pop
right off of the lugnut studs assuming that it isn't frozen in place,
which your's obviously is not.

The two lug nuts will hold the rotor down as if the wheel were in place
and let you see things more clearly. The lugnuts need to be open-end
because the closed acorn-style lugnuts don't go down far enough.

Basically, if the wheel is tightened, there should be no play in your
rotor. That is why I would look at the caliper first, it may be missing
a return spring for the brake pads or have some other problem.

HTH,

Pat