Old March 23rd 05, 12:10 AM
Thomas Cameron

"66 6F HCS" > wrote in message

> "Thomas Cameron" > wrote
>>I've heard that the 351C/351W is a
>> drop-in for this car.

> I'd stick with a W. C's arew hard to find in decent condition and the W
> was made longer and has ALL the upgrades from a 5.0 except the intake.
> This all equals saved $$$
>
>> I've also heard that a bigger (390, 429 and 460)
>> motor requires modification like moving the shock towers up front.

> Who's the 'tard that told you that?
>
>> Is that true?

> NO!!!
>
>> How big a motor can I just drop in?

> How bout this???
> http://www.rpmmachine.com/ford-460-557-stroker.shtml
> 557 cid 460 stroker. OUCH!!
> --
> Scott W.
> '66 Mustang HCS 289
> '68 Ranchero 500 302
> '69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
> ThunderSnake #57

ROFLMAO - too funny.

So you are saying that you can drop a 460 in without having to modify the
engine compartment? Just the appropriate motor mounts? I've got a line on
a fresh rebuilt 460 with a 7 year/70K mile warranty for pretty cheap
(http://tinyurl.com/45bb8). They'll do the following to this engine:

cam- 50.00
port and polish heads- 350.00
balance engine- 150.00 plus we will need your harmonic balancer and
flywheel/flexplate
high volume oil pump- 35.00
double roller timing set- 65.00

So between the motor and the performance work it would be a little over
$2000 plus shipping.

I know that I will need to come up with intake and exhaust manifolds, carb,
headers, pipes, etc. I am not sure about what else I will need, but I
assume the list will be long. I am not sure about the electical system,
whether the stock power steering will work with this motor, etc.

Can you offer any opinions or advice?

Thanks!
Thomas