Old November 26th 04, 03:59 AM
Steve W.

It is retained by a snap ring on the inside shaft. It should just pop
back in as long as it is in the correct
position. They usually take a good whack with a rubber mallet or dead
blow to seat. I'd be worried about
how it came apart.

--
Steve Williams

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Thx for your reply.
>
> The '91 uses I.F.S. with a 2-piece alum. diff.. housing and a

bolted-on
> axle tube on the r. side. I've pulled apart lots of conventional

"live"
> axles, but never one of these. Sure I can "go at it." I'm just looking
> for some pointers, what to expect, common problems, quirks, failures,
> etc. from someone whose been through this particular model of GM diff.
>
> Cheers!
>

> Rusted wrote:
>
> > Not positive on the details of your axle, but I think that anyone

with a
> > little auto experience, and some patience can easily figure out an

axle
> > (minus the gears). Start pulling it apart, fix what is wrong, and

put it
> > all back together. I think you will find, under the brakes, a plate

that
> > you can remove. Once that is remove or loosened, the axle shaft

will slide
> > out.
> >

> > "Bob" > wrote in message
> >
> >>I just noticed a small puddle of gear lube on the driveway and upon
> >>inspection found the right front axle shaft has popped out of the

axle tube
> >>by about 1/2 inch. I don't know ho far the truck was drive like this

but
> >>probably less than 50 to 100km. Questions:
> >>
> >>What retains the axle in position (pressed on bearings)?
> >>What is the likely damage (from those of you who have experience

with
> >>this)?
> >>What is involved in fixing this?
> >>
> >>Tho' I'm not a Lic'd mechanic, I'm very experienced in Auto repair;

just