Old July 18th 05, 11:29 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

Joe wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
> :
> <snip>
>
>>I usually try to get up by 8:30am (if I work late then I sleep
>>later) and head downstairs and grab a jumbo cup of coffee. My wife
>>leaves by 6:30am so the coffee is already in the pot. I grab a
>>muffin and head to the couch where the laptop sets on the coffee
>>table.

> I take it you don't have kids or pets roaming around. If I left a
> laptop on the coffee table, it'd have food, spilled gatorade, paw
> prints all over it, and it'd be upside down on the floor in about a
> dozen pieces.

We have a few cats and a dog but they never bother anything. The dog
can't even jump on the coffee table so most things are safe around here.

>>I check email, the Washington Post, Drudge Report, maybe a
>>few newsgroups and then head to the basement with a refill of the
>>jumbo coffee.

> I do iced coffee out of my thermos I keep in the fridge. Two's
> usually enough; any more and I'm too wired.

Isn't that the whole point?

>>Then I return any phone calls, make sure I have no
>>meetings scheduled and then start working.

> Unless I'm in the office, I don't do phone. E-mail has to suffice.
> We're also hooked into one of those chat things for the company.

I can't function without a phone. Sometimes I don;t answer it in order
to get things done.

>>I take a few breaks
>>during the day. Time flies down stairs though. I think it's the
>>lack of windows. I watch a combination of Fox News, History
>>Channel, Science Channel, National Geographic Channel and A&E while
>>I work.

> I could never work with the TV or radio on. However, my desk is right
> next to the sliding glass doors in the living room. I have a
> panoramic view of our porch with the fish/turtle pond, and the back
> yard with the "canal" behind it. The canal rarely has water, but it's
> been pretty full for almost a month now because of the rain and
> storms.

I guess it goes back to my college days when I studied under all kinds
of circumstances. If I could study while drinking beer and doing some
light partying then a little TV is nothing.

>>I usually try and get a shower in before I have to take the
>>dog out at 4:00pm to crap.

> Hell, I'm not afraid to wander outside even right out of bed. Even
> dogs scatter when they see me.

If I didn't impose that little bit of discipline then I may never shower.

>>>I work home Mondays and Fridays. Gave my boss the sob story of my
>>>3- hour commute per day down to Miami and back, not to mention
>>>14mpg in the torquemonster. She asked me if I could deal with two
>>>days from home and I instantly said no problem.

>>Telecommuting is nice. My wife did it 1-2 days a week before she
>>was promoted and lost the perk. It was strange having both of us
>>working from the house on her "home" days. It saves money to work
>>from home but getting an extra 3 hours a day would be the real
>>benefit for me.

> When I'm home, I usually start anywhere between 6:30 and 8:30
> depending on when I get up. During the summer, my wife's home
> (teacher) so we get up later. But during school, we're usually up at
> 5:45am so I'm working by 6:30. Having my VPN into work, I can always
> hook up and do whatever I have to at any time. So I usually end up
> putting a few hours in here and there over the weekend regardless.

Try doing that for years on end. It really messes with your sense of
time when you're dislocated from the day to day routines of punching a
time clock. Whether I work all day or all night, it doesn't matter
much. The time shifting just creeps up on you after awhile.

>>>Well, I know Kate read a few of my comments from the other day...
>>>

>>>Hell, of course we're boring - we're both over 40.

>>I believe you but I have to say that I don't FEEL that I'm boring.

> Right! We're the most interesting people on the planet...

Well that takes the pressure off of us. Neither one of us is too
demanding when it comes to being entertained. For proof just look at
this thread.