Old May 8th 05, 06:04 PM
Elle

"John Ings" > wrote
> > wrote:
>
> >There is a center tow hook on the bar that connects the two front sub
> >frames. The service manual says to lift the front of the car there. In

the
> >back there will either be a tow hook or a round solid protrusion (in the
> >center) that you can use to lift the rear.

> Yes. Actually they're not tow hooks, they're the tie-down lugs that
> are used to hold the car in place during shipment on those big
> Japanese car transporter ships. They are indeed a good place to jack,
> since they are always fixed to a robust part of the car.

Huh. I would never have known this but for this post.

All I've used the hook for in the past was when I was hauling something
bulky in the trunk and had to tie the trunk lid down. The hook is perfect to
pass the rope through.

Of course, as I implied earlier, my 1991 Civic needs alternative jacking
points these days, too, so I'll be using the hook more for this. My 91 Civic
has one only on the rear.