Old February 10th 05, 12:51 AM

Default Geo Metro Gauge problems

Hi,
I have a Geo Metro (1992, 2 door, 3 cylinder) and the fuel and
temperature gauges have started to act crazy. The temperature gauge was
particularly alarming because it indicated that the car was
overheating. I had a mechanic check it and he said the temperature is
fine and that the gauges are probably broken. He said it would cost
~$200 to fix it. He also said as long as I keep an eye on the coolant
and keep the gas tank full, that I can probably leave it broken.
He didn't seem too enthusiastic about my idea to replace the engine
with a rebuilt. I bought the car with abtou 81,000 miles on it and had
to get the engine essentially rebuilt after buying it. Since then, I've
put over 100,000 miles on the car. It still gets 50 mpg and runs quite
well. The mechanic, in Pennsylvania where I now live, said that the
body is probably in bad shape, but he didn't check it. I moved from
Montana where they don't salt the street, so corosion is not as bad
there.
Any thoughts and opinions about the gauges or the rebuilt engine idea?
I can't afford a new car and I don't want to buy a used car because
they are typically in bad shape and require a lot of work initially. At
least with a rebuilt engine, I'd know the engine is OK.
I travel quite a bit, about 1200 miles per month, and am worried my
car's days are coming to an end.
Thank you for your help and advice. By the way, I don't know anything
about car engines and repair, so please be patient with me.
Sincerely,
Heath