Old July 8th 05, 07:53 AM
Will Honea

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:53:10 UTC "Steve W." > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I have been quoted some prices on some potential repairs to my 95 Jeep
> > Wrangler, but being a non-technical owner (I just drive the thing, I
> > don't know how it works) I have a hard time understanding these
> > problems, guaging how important they really are, and guessing whether
> > or not I am getting a decent price.
> >
> > I do trust this particular mechanic, and they are not presenting these
> > problems to me as high-importance must-fix-for-safe-operation

> problems,
> > but I would still appreciate it if some of you knowledgable

> jeep-people
> > could offer your opinions on these:
> >
> > 1) What is a "Rear Main Seal". How important is a leak in one? Is it
> > worth over $400 to fix?

> Rear main seal is the one piece seal that closes the area between the
> engines crankshaft and the engine block. If this is a 4.0 engine this is
> a VERY common problem with them. Leakage there depends on how bad it
> actually is. Put a piece of cardboard or paper under the rear of the
> engine and see what shows up in 24 hours. IF you have a spot on the
> cardboard the size of a dime or smaller don't worry about it for now. If
> it is between a dime and a quarter then if you can spare the vehicle for
> the time required and have the money get it repaired 400.00 is about
> correct since it is a rather involved repair. Especially on a 4X4. If it
> is over a 50 cent piece get it changed out ASAP since you are losing
> quite a bit of oil.
>

> > 2) What is the transmissions "Transfer Case Seal"? How important is a
> > leak in it? Is it worth over $300 to fix?

> About the same as a rear main seal BUT since the transfer case is
> difficult to fill and check it would be a good idea to get it changed
> out if it is leaking more than a drop or two per day. If it is just damp
> around it don't worry about it.
>

> > 3) What is an "Induction Flush" how important is it? Is it worth

> approx
> > $150 to have done?
> >

> 150 would be a bit high for just an injector cleaning, BUT if they are
> doing injector cleaning and top end cleaning then it isn't too bad.

4.0 rear main seal is 2-piece, not one. Tranny does not have to come
off the replace it and it's definitely not a $400 job. Took me 2
hours to change mine - and half od that was getting the old pan gasket
off so the new one would seal. Pay attention to the advice - put a
rag behind the rear of the engine under the valve cover and see if
that's where the "rear main" leak really is. That's a lot more common
than a rear main (mine was over 150k before it really did start to
leak).

--
Will Honea