Old May 21st 05, 05:13 AM
Elaine T

Richard Sexton wrote:
I won't believe for one second that cyanobacteria or ammonia or pH
variations or anything else similar will cause a bettas fins to tatter
overnight. It sounds from your description that the fins are
physically ripped apart; these other "chemical" types of things, if
they are so bad as to cause a problem, would be likely to cause fins
to rot away over time, as if the fish has fin and tail rot, don't you
think?

Cyanobacteria is caused by high ammonia and low nitrate. By the time you
have a bynch of it it's used the ammonia so it'll test 0. But with ammonia
in the tank anyprotozoal disease can take over very quickly. It's easyt to
miss the beginnings of this and they can seeeminly overnight go from
what looked like a perfect fish to a tattered mess.

Acriflavine cures this 99% of the time. Anything similar should
work. An of these owuld work too:

http://aquaria.net/articles/meds/ant.../alternatives/

That makes more sense than a fish jumping across, fighting to less than
the death, and jumping back. And nitrates are low because of the clumps
of java moss and floating watersprite in the tank.

Funny you should post this today. I was actually thinking of adding
copper, formalin/malachite, or permanganate this morning because I just
wasn't quite convinced it was a fight. I almost bought acriflavine at
the pet store today and decided against it because I didn't want to kill
all the nitrifying bacteria in the tank.

I'll go with formalin/malachite since it won't trash my filter, I have
it around, and it works for most protozoans. Hopefully it won't inhibit
fin regrowth if it was a fight.

Thanks!

--
Elaine T __