Old June 12th 05, 03:19 PM
Jim Yanik

"C.H." > wrote in
news
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 04:48:38 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:
>
>> "C.H." > wrote in
>> news >>

>>> That doesn't change the fact that it is illegal and dangerous

>> Dangerous? How's that? You don't know much about radar jammers.

> Unfortunately I do know quite a few things about illegal transmitters.
> And I know my life as a pilot depends on radio communication and that
> idiots, whose hacked homebuilt transmitters' harmonics interrupt or
> garble this radio communication are endangering my life and other
> people's life too.

Again,the tranmitter in homemade radar gun jammers are common COMMERCIAL
Gunn oscillators.Only the modulating signal/power source is made by the
constructor.

So,they are NOT "dangerous".

> Oh, and before I forget: One of the lives they endanger may be yours.
> Imagine you sit comfortably in a Boeing 737 approaching SFO and a
> plane approaching the parallel runway gets their runway assignment
> wrong because half a dozen other Jim Janiks had to fool some trooper
> on nearby 101...

Unfortunately,the scenario you describe is not gonna happen.
Not for a low powered radar jammer operating in bands not used by com-
aviation.

> I don't mind speeding and I do mind low speed limits, but illegal
> radar jammers are NOT the way to go.
>
>> The Gunn oscillators are common commercial items.They're
>> everywhere;door openers in most stores,burglar alarms.

> All these devices are build according to FCC regulations. Not so these
> illegal hacked together devices.

Uh,the transmitter IS the Gunn oscillator.Manufactured to FCC regulations.

> As they are illegal their
> manufacturers don't
>
>>> to use unlicensed and often underengineered hacked-together radar
>>> transmitters and that it makes sense to enforce the already existing
>>> federal law.
>>>

>> Only the FCC has the authority to enforce Federal communications
>> laws.

> One more reason to find another way to take away these 'jammers'.
>
> Btw, newsflash: They don't work anyway.
>
> Chris

Agreed;Car and Driver mag's tests of several years ago showed that half of
them worked. Not good enough for me.

That may only be a lack of knowledge about the radar guns in current
use,thus not being able to design the proper,effective modulation
circuitry,or due to better training by the speedgun's users.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik