Old August 5th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB[_1_]

Default Should driveshaft turn at all (by hand)

JohnV@nn wrote:
> I'm trying to assess the condition of my 93's U joints. I got under
> the car and tried to turn the driveshaft by hand. I could turn it a
> little bit, I would say about 1/4" of travel measured at the surface of
> the shaft. Should I be able to turn it at all by hand?
>
> Thanks,
> John V

Not really. Each part between the trans output shaft and the axles has a very
small amount of play required, like .005". All those areas wear over time. And they
all add up. Even in a new car, you'll be able to move the driveshaft a slight
amount. Slight. 1/4" is too much. Grab the pinion flange and see how much that
moves.

--
..boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.