Old January 23rd 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.tech

Default Superglue oil leak fix

I learned a simulair trick from a chrysler dealer. After they installed an
oil pan gasket incorrectly where it mated to the front cover. There was a
lip where the gaskets overlapped seated incorrectly allowing oil to leak out
about a half a quart a day. Their trick was to put a vacuumn on the oil
breather hole and clean the leak area off with contact cleaner, until
spotless. And use high temp red rtv and they sucked it in with the vacuumn
and shut it down and let it dry overnite. It was not leaking 6 years later.
Also someone did the exact same trick on a Ford 302 rear intake gasket.,
using red high temp rtv. The fix is to take the intake off and put a new
gasket on. it was about a $500 fix. It was much more difficult to clean, but
lasted about a year and a half. Also I guarantee that superglue on an
aircraft engine is NOT approved by the FAA. General Aviation owners are much
more lenient about their repairs , and I,m sure everything has been tried to
save a buck , by people who can't afford proper maintenance. Will it work ,
sometimes. Would I want to fly across water about 3 hours with it. No.
oups.com...