Old July 20th 05, 11:56 PM
ross via CarKB.com

bill wrote:
>1996 AWD V-8 with 150,000 miles. Makes a clicking/crunching noise; can hear
>it especially well when coming to a stop and there's no engine noise. I'm
>thinking U-joints? Never replaced anything on the front end except shocks
>and brakes. Is this a big job? What's it going to cost me?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill

The first thing to look at on the AWD's with "rotational" noises in the front
end is the front driveshaft. They have problems more frequently than the diff,
axles, etc.

I think (but am not sure) that the 96 uses a constant velocity joint on the
transfer case side like my 99. If so, you cannot rebuild it. Just have to
get a new one - around 225.00.

There is a standard u-joint on the diff side which can be rebuilt, but it is
not usually the one that fails. Crunch noises point toward the CV joint.
And it's difficult sometimes to tell if the CV joint is bad without taking
the shaft off.

I's start there!