Old April 12th 06, 02:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Jeep and BMW

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> The BMW motor won't work well in your Jeep, ESPECIALLY if you are into
> offroading. The BMW motor makes its power and and torque well above
> idle, but the Jeep really needs its power to come on just off of idle.
> There isn't enough torque in the BMW motor to make offroading very
> rewarding. Now, if you wanted a Jeep that could do 130 mph, and kicked
> the power on at 3000+ RPM, then the BMW motor is just the thing.
>
> I suggest you look at a V8 instead of a 6 anyway. The 8 and the 4 are
> the same length, the 6 is much longer. This means that stuff has to move
> fore or aft with the 6 that might remain where it is with the 4 to 8
> conversion. And, the 8 makes torque at idle, if you get the right one.

Nah. There is tons of room in the engine compartment of a Wrangler for
an inline 6 and the 4.0 liter straight 6 makes plenty of power way down
low. That, and you can buy a complete drive train (engine, transmission
and transfer case) that was factory equipment and will drop right in.

--
-Fred W