Old December 6th 04, 03:37 AM
Steve Grauman

The Firbird was offered in several trim levels in 1998:

Firebird V6
Firebird Formula
Firebird Trans Am
Firebird Trans Am WS6

The Firebird Formula had the Trans Am's V8, but weighed less, making it
slightly quicker. However it also lacked many of the T/A's upgraded interior
features. The WS6 model added a Ram-Air system to the V8 engine and upped power
to 330Hp. It was slightly less than that, about 305Hp, in earlier model years.
WS6 models had a "double deck" ram air hood. 330 Horsepower, WS6 T/A's could
run 0-60 in around 5.5 seconds with the Formula Firebird running slightly less,
owing to fewer ponies. A high school friend had a WS6 T/A 6-Speed with the
Hurst Shifter, it was fun in a straight line, but had a horrible interior.

>on the other hand there's the 2001 AUDI TT QUATTRO (6 gear) 225 HP
>>> coupe...
>>>

>>> which is a better car ???

Car and Driver tested out a 225 horspower TT Cabriolet with 6-speed and
produced a 6.3 second 0-60 time, leading me to believe that the coupe should be
competant to do it in 6.0 seconds flat. This is about a half second slower than
the T/A WS6 but that gap can be nearly eliminated by simply chipping the TT.
APR says their chip for the 225 TT gets horsepower up to 257 and torque up to
263 ft. lbs. The heavier B5 S4 could manage a 5.5 second 0-60 run on 250 Hp and
255 Ft. Lbs. so I imagine the TT should match or beat that time. The Audi will
also have far better material quality and a much nicer interior. I'd take the
Audi.
Steve Grauman