Old June 29th 06, 03:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default New member, Some Q about Vanos

Hey Guys,

I just joined this group today, it seems to contain alot of useful
information. My question is concerned with an 2000 E46 328ci. I would
like to ask if any member here has experienced a sudden, silent stall
while driving. It happened to me while I was driving on the interstate,
my car while driving (its a 5spd) suddenly stalled when I was in
neutral and about to switch to 5th gear. My steering got locked, and it
was extremely dangerous. Thank god I have a 5spd and my car did not
choke, It just silently shut down, the only way I could tell was when I
looked in the dash and my engine and oil lights came on in red, so I
pressed the clutch, turned on the car while rolling on the interstate
at 65 mph! I got control back, took it to a mechanic and he told me it
could be my Vanos Unit going out. Has anyones "Vanos" unit gone out
here or experienced the same issue, any information shared here will be
highly appreciated.. Thank you.

Regards,
Omair