Old August 27th 03, 08:27 PM
Stephen H. Westin

"chudwuh" > writes:

> I'm compiling a list of defunct (or soon to be) Big-3 passenger car makes
> that were made and/or sold in the US. So far, I've come up with the
> following - anybody know of any others? Thanks.
>
> FoMoCo - Edsel

Also Continental. The '50s Continental Mark II was actually a separate
brand. And Merkur...

> GM - LaSalle and Oldsmobile

Marquette, Oakland. In the '20s, each GM brand got a partner: Buick
and Marquette, Cadillac and LaSalle, Oakland and Pontiac. Come to
think of it, did Chevrolet get a little brother? Anyway, Pontiac was
the only nameplate that survived, cannibalizing its elder sibling
Oakland. Also Yellow Cab and Scripps-Booth. Rapid was the predecessor
to GMC. Oops, you said passenger cars.

> MoPar - DeSoto and Plymouth

Imperial. A separate brand from Chrysler. If you include the American
Motors heritage, there are Hudson, Essex, Terraplane, Rambler, and
Nash. Not to mention Willys and Overland.

--
-Stephen H. Westin