Old July 17th 05, 12:22 AM
QB3

It's a guy thing. Most of the people I see backing in are men. Women
almost never do it.

It's a safety thing for me. Be it a driveway or a parking space, I have a
much clearer view of the spot as I drive up to it, and I can then safely
back into the space, right after I have observed it.

When I am leaving, my observation of potential obstacles happens as I walk
up to the vehicle and a few dozen seconds may pass before I actually drive
out of the space. That's too much time, and animals and children have too
great an opportunity to wander into the danger zone.

I live on a quiet street and don't normally have any vehicles behind me when
I attempt to park. There are a lot of pedestrians in our neighborhood,
though. The young ones are what I seek to avoid. The older ones usually
know better than to walk behind a running vehicle when they can't see the
driver's eyes in the mirror.

My pickup truck and SUV have less visibility to the rear than most sedans.
That reality demands back-in parking. I've been doing it for years, and it
works for me. Lots of guys in our neighborhood do it. Something else may
work for you.