Old June 16th 04, 07:02 PM
Tha Ghee

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
> >the reason the big 3 try "not" to use OHC is because the like low slung
> >hoods and this is hard to achieve with a OHC arrangement

> Ford has been using an SOHC design on the Mustang version of their 4.6

litre V8 since the mid 1990s, if memory serves me. And they use a 32-valve,
DOHC version in the Cobra and the Mercury Marauder. The Navigator also gets
a DOHC, 32 valve version of the 5.4 litre Triton V8 found in the Expedition.

> >the V-60 SHO 2nd gen Taurus was very fast, it had faster 30 foot times

than a Mustang.

> I assume you mean 60-foot times. And I have a feeling that a 5.0 litre

Cobra
> fro the same era would give the SHO a good run for it's money. I wouldn't

call
> the car "very fast" but with a 0-60 time around 6.9 seconds it was

definitely
> quicker than most other cars of it's size, type and price at new. Keep in

mind
> though that the SHO engine was largely designed by Yamaha, not Ford. And

most of their best turbocharged work has been the result of Cosworth's hand.

but look at the hood design of all the cars you mentioned, they have high
hoods compared to other cars like the Camaro/Firebird.

the 1st gen, second series had better 60 ft time, that's pretty good for a
3500 sedan with only less than 300 HP.